Saturday, October 15

THE ALL-AMERICAN REJECTS

I tend to be leery of bands that straddle the line between emo and pop-punk. Too often, that line all-but-guarantees a generic sameness in sound - a sound utterly white-washed, glossy, and embalmed.

I can't really say that the All-American Rejects succeed in transcending the genre, but they have to stand fairly high in the field. Certainly they know their way around a hook. And perhaps because they're so young (early-20's), they seem entirely unafraid of utilizing potentially cheesy, career-ending accoutrements - be they strings, synthesizers, or children's choirs.

To say the least, I'm not sure I'd want a steady diet of these guys. But if "lo-fi" = "no carbs," then I'm all for stuffing myself with bread, pasta, and potatoes every once in a while.

[MP3] [left-click] "Move Along" [from the LP Move Along, 2005]

[MP3] [left-click] "Top of the World" [from the LP Move Along, 2005]

[MP3] [left-click] "Swing Swing" [from their self-titled LP, 2003]

[MP3] [left-click] "Time Stands Still" [from their self-titled LP, 2003]

No comments: