Wednesday, February 15

MATTHEW RYAN

An Aquarium Drunkard featured an interview with singer/songwriter Matthew Ryan on February 10th and offered a slew of songs for your downloading pleasure. Always happy to hop on a bandwagon, I've decided to offer a few of my favorites as well.

I don't know how under-the-radar this guy is, really; it may be that everybody already knows about him. I discovered him with East Autumn Grin, which remains my favorite record of his. He has an attractively raspy voice and isn't afraid of arrangements that feature more than just voice and guitar. No offense to all the Sufjan, Iron & Wine, and Jose Gonzalez lovers out there (and you are legion), but those folks sometimes make me sleepy.

Truth be told, I hear at least a sliver of Springsteen in Mr. Ryan, and that can't be bad.

From the LP Regret Over the Wires, 2003 >>>
[MP3] "Return to Me"

From the LP East Autumn Grin, 2000 >>>
[MP3] "Heartache Weather"

From the LP May Day, 1997 >>>
[MP3] "Guilty"

[MP3] "Little Drummer Boy"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi - you don't by chance still have the Matthew Ryan mp3 for The Little Drummer Boy do you? I've been looking to hear this song since I heard some of his work on The House.
Thanks