Monday, October 16

THE BLOW



A group called the Blow? Huh. What might that refer to? Let us ponder some of the things that one can blow...

Um... BUBBLES! Yes, most certainly. What a charming and innocent image. And... uh... GLASS! Also: LEAVES! An underachieving sports team can "blow a lead" (how ya doin' there, New York Yankees?). An anti-Semitic, rabid-Catholic drunk driver can blow a .12 on a breathalyzer (how ya doin' there, Mel Gibson?).

Still, I have to say, hearing about a group called "the Blow" reminds me most of all of a conversation I was part of while attending the fifth grade at Lewis Cass Elementary School, circa 1980. I can still remember quite clearly one of my more rotund school chums (how ya doin' there, John O'Connor?) informing me that a "blowjob" didn't actually involve "blowing," it involved "sucking." That didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time. Not sure that it does now, either. Somebody draw me a picture.

Anyway, the musical group the Blow consists of two ladies from Portland, Oregon, USA. Their debut long-player, Paper Television, will be available for your perusal and purchase on October 24. What's it sound like? Well... the literature would have you believe: "no-wave and glitch-hop, club anthems and doo-wop." Even if somebody drew me a picture, I'm not sure I'd know what that means. But if it's anything like a blowjob, you should probably assume that it's exactly the opposite of what you think it is.

[MP3] "True Affection"

[MP3] "Fists Up"

No comments: