Friday, January 12

06. SCISSOR SISTERS: TA-DAH


I didn't particularly care for SCISSOR SISTERS' self-titled debut LP when it "came out" in 2004. I found the lead singer's voice annoying, and, after about a minute, their cover of PINK FLOYD's "Comfortably Numb" quickly skipped down the Yellow Brick Road toward tedium.

So, I didn't have the highest of expectations for 2006's follow-up, TA-DAH. Nonetheless, first single "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" disarmed me quite a bit when it first hit the Internet, and I made a mental note to give the full album a fair shot before compiling my end-of-year Favorites list. Turns out, that mental note was a fortuitous one, as I ended up enjoying this record from "top-to-bottom." To my ears, it slants more toward late-'70s BEE GEES this time around than mid-'70s ELTON JOHN, so maybe it's my internal disco queen that's driving this pick. Regardless, like THE PIPETTES and THE FRATELLIS further down my list, Scissor Sisters traffic in fun, escapist pop for dancers and non-dancers alike.

Scissor Sisters on MySPACE.

[MP3] "I Can't Decide"

No comments: