Thursday, October 11

JAMES BLUNT

As a general rule, I don't make a habit of posting on artists that I don't like. I mean, why the hell would I? This is MY blog, after all -- one of the very few things in this world that I can actually call my own.

Sometimes, though, I fall prey to a moth-to-flame compulsion to listen to anything and everything that comes down the pop-rock pike. It may be some artist the blogosphere has gone absolutely bang-a-gong batshit for (are people REALLY enjoying the new DEVENDRA BANHART and BEIRUT records?!). Other times, I find myself unable to resist listening to the stuff that sells boo coo units. Of course, I do this merely to keep the common touch -- to suss out what's-what with the great unwashed.

I lay all of this out as a means of explaining and excusing my having listened to BOTH of JAMES BLUNT's albums -- 2005's BACK TO BEDLAM and the new ALL THE LOST SOULS. Suffice it to say, I do not recommend either opus. Each has the flavor and consistency of cardboard that's been left soaking in a rancid vat of Earl Grey tea. In other words: It's music your grandma can groove to.

So... it may be nothing more than a pointless exercise in turd-polishing to single out a track from each of Blunt's records that stands out -- ever-so-slightly -- from the rest of the sap and pap. But I'm pretty much committed to this now, and my tenth and eleventh listens to IN RAINBOWS can wait a few minutes....

JAMES BLUNT on MySPACE.

From the LP ALL THE LOST SOULS, 2007 >>>
[
MP3] "Give Me Some Love"

From the LP BACK TO BEDLAM, 2005 >>>
[
MP3] "High"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"flavor and consistency of cardboard that's been left soaking in a rancid vat of Earl Grey tea. In other words: It's music your grandma can groove to"??

Uh.... dude. how old are you?? My grandma listens to Jimi Hendrix, The Who and the Stones. I think the generation of grandmas who listened to Lawrence Welk and Doris Day are pretty much extinct, aren't they?

Having said that, I still pretty much agree with yer assessment of Mr.Blunt's output, though :)

Anonymous said...

Some of us appreciate the breadth of content provided by POA! Do not dilute it with your ageist comments! =)

JOE GILLIS said...

Ha. "Ageist comments": love it, Anonymous #2. As for Anonymous #1: I *am* old. And my grandma died some years back at the age of 96. I'm confident she would have found Lawrence Welk to be a hellraiser and Doris Day a whore. James Blunt, she would have just found dull.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.