Wednesday, June 25

MATTHEW RYAN

A little love today for underrated American singer-songwriter MATTHEW RYAN. If that first sentence causes you to quizzically query, "Who?"... well... that's exactly why this post is so necessary.

Mr. Ryan (born RYAN CHRISTOPHER WEBB, but that's neither here nor there) has been releasing albums since 1997. In fact, he's released about 11 albums in those 11 years, while shifting his base of operations from Pennsylvania to Delaware to Tennessee.

The guy is known for his distinctive, everyman rasp, and is compared to everyone from RYAN ADAMS to LOU REED; TOM WAITS to LEONARD COHEN. For my money, though, SPRINGSTEEN, DYLAN, and JOSHUA TREE-era U2 are the most obvious touchstones. See if you agree....


From the LP MAY DAY, 1997 >>>
[
MP3] "Guilty"
[
MP3] "Railroaded"

From the LP EAST AUTUMN GRIN, 2000 >>>
[
MP3] "Heartache Weather"
[
MP3] "Me & My Lover"

From the LP REGRET OVER THE WIRES, 2003 >>>
[
MP3] "Come Home"
[
MP3] "Return to Me"

From the LP FROM A LATE NIGHT HIGH RISE, 2007 >>>
[
MP3] "Everybody Always Leaves"
[
MP3] "Babybird"

From the LP MATTHEW RYAN VS. THE SILVER STATE, 2008 >>>
[
MP3] "Drunk and Disappointed"
[
MP3] "American Dirt"

3 comments:

jeffro said...

East Autumn Grin is one of my favorite albums of all-time (Still, Part Two is my favorite track)...

Anonymous said...

"Railroaded" is among my many Ryan favorites. "Return To me" is another good respresentation of his work! I think the new CD 'MRVSS' is his best work yet and "They Were Wrong" and "Jane, I Still Feel The Same" should become classics.

Anonymous said...

When a song says out loud what has been in your mind .Words you have been unable to find .You know the ones that come from the heart. Thats the songs Matthew has always written. On the song Me and My Lover . One line says, me and my lover told each other were ever you are that's were i'll be. Has anyone ever said it better than that.The world of music is a better place because of Matthew